That are the male/female cavy that is best fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring probably the most dilemmas in their social life. I am hoping this informative article will causes things effortless them live happy together for you to decide on your guinea pigs’ social lives and make.
1. Why do you want several guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are particularly animals that are social it will always be suggested they reside with a minumum of one another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how long you may spend with her or him, as you aren’t (presumably, when you are looking over this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, although we are able to mostly know very well what will they be attempting to tell us.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less inquisitive, less vocal, less active, less funny. It’s not normal in order for them to live with no other of these sort.
Whenever residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever selecting cage mates, it will always be better to have a similar gender, or various gender but neutered – since there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood dog shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, as you can conserve the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, highly will depend on your location that is geographical and pig population.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in cases where a guinea pig is a boar or a sow.
- Neutering: an over-all term used to explain the castration of a male animal. It is made of getting rid of the testicles.
- Spaying: a broad term utilized to explain the ovariohysterectomy of a sow. It comes with an reduction of a sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or even a significantly big component. It really is a extreme and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both spaying and neutering are medical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. A veterinarian performs them. These are typically mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is best to save lots http://www.bestrussianbrides.orgs of the people which exist then to breed new people.
If having an option, always neuter your guinea that is male pig. The procedure is more complicated for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly speak to your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before launching newbies
- You should be 100% sure the sex is known by you of the guinea pigs. There are many great pages for this, like about this website website link. If you’re nevertheless uncertain concerning the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t count on the information directed at you by the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big sufficient cage – there is the minimal suggested measurements from the guinea pig cages web page.
- If having two men, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these may have “his very very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage add-ons must be washed making use of vinegar, to eliminate all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can be recommended to eliminate the prevailing touch” that is“personal.
- Wash your guinea pigs to notably conceal their normal fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage in the comer that is new. By doing this the newbie would significantly smell such as for instance a user associated with the herd.
- Quarantine period for a brand new guinea pig. Your guinea that is new pig carry some health problems which may incubate for a time, and distribute among your current cavies. Consequently, it is vital to quarantine your brand new guinea pig for at least fourteen days, therefore possible health problems would show with time to avoid epidemic. Maintain the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and wash your hand always after handling the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are purchased from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two child guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and a mature guinea pig regarding the exact same sex
- Neutered male and something or higher females
- Two females. It’s possible they will never go along – depends upon their characters
- Two men could are now living in harmony, but that depends upon a specific instance – again, from the character of this guinea pigs at issue
5. Introductions guidelines and guidelines
- Whenever presenting guinea that is new, never place your brand brand brand new guinea pig straight within the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very very first conference must be done in the big, enclosed “neutral ground” – somewhere away from cage, in a place this is certainly a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of a kitchen area or your bathrooms.
- Spot a pile of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center for the area.
- Put all of your guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, just in case they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring each other is normal. Then, all of this can happen: mounting each other, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring combined with swaggering stroll, etc. It really is a normal thing for them – developing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and who does not care. This may simply just take about a full hour; from then on, you need to nevertheless observe them for the next couple of hours.
- Following the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they need to appear confident with one another. They can be placed by you during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour into the cage for the next time frame, merely to make sure these are generally ok.
- When they don’t appear to go along after their time together committed from the ground that is neutral read further. You will need to throw a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another if they start to get physically aggressive and fight.
6. Let’s say they don’t get on?
It’s possible that the guinea pigs won’t go along, regardless of what you are doing and just how very very carefully you’ve got see the guidelines about this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened nature that is works in this way.
In such a circumstance, you will have to have them divided one way or another. The best thing doing is to have them near sufficient so they could see, smell and keep in touch with one another, but they are separated with a few sorts of a partition. They truly are nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig within their vicinity could be a deal that is great them.